Make a lantern
You will need:
- jam jar or plain drinking glass
- LED or tea light candle
- water based glass paints
- tube of outline paste (optional)
- fine brushes
- fine tip marker pen
- ribbon or wire (optional) for glass jars
- Protect your working surface with newspaper or an old cloth. Wear old clothes or an apron.
- Make a rough design on paper first or copy a simple image from a magazine or old greetings card. Draw the design on the glass using a fine tip permanent marker pen.
- Apply one colour at a time to your design. Wash your brush between colours. Let colours dry before you paint another one next to it. Leave the paint for about 30 minutes.
- Use the outline paste to draw around the different colours, squeeze gently (optional).
- For jam jars, add a ribbon around the top to disguise the screw top and use wire to create a handle. Put an LED or tea light candle inside.
N.B. These are breakable. Tea light candles become liquid when hot. Put them on a heat proof surface. Do not leave a burning candle unattended. Please keep them away from young children.
Other tips and ideas
- use the paint in thin layers. Too much paint at once will run
- add large sequins and plastic gem stones stuck on with PVA glue