You will need
- Black paper
- Marker Pen
- Tissue paper
- Glue sticks
- Practice your own design by making a sketch on a piece of scrap paper or trace from one of our templates below.
- Making a template from a piece of card is a good way to repeat a shape.
- Protect your work surface with an old sheet, newspaper or a tablecloth. Draw the designs on your black paper.
- Cut out the holes carefully.
- Cut colour tissue paper pieces larger than the holes.
- Add glue carefully around the edge of the holes and stick down the tissue paper.
- Repeat until all the holes are filled in with your colours.
Other tips and ideas
- Use a marker pen to add simple lines and details if you wish
- Layer the tissue paper colours to make colours deeper or create new colours
- Choose a window where others can enjoy how your design looks at night when the lights inside the room make the design glow with colour in the darkness.
- Or, choose to hang your finished design under a light – NOTE: do not cover the light, the heat will cause a fire risk.